- Creating an environment where corrosion is kept to an absolute minimum.
- Creating an environment where basic science allows metals to be passive creating their own protection.
- Correct pH levels – It is possible using a slightly alkaline environment for the metals within the system to build up their own natural oxide levels. Where inhibitor creates a false layer of protection, having a Ph level between 8.2-10 allows metals to become passive and protected even in the presence of oxygen.
- Low conductivity – it has long been known that having a high level of conductivity creates an environment where corrosion is accelerated. This is because of galvanic corrosion caused via transfer of electrons between different metals.
- Reduced Oxygen – Removal of oxygen is vital for any system and highly recommended but by having a low conductivity and stable pH even in the presence of oxygen we can still be effective against corrosion.
- Design, Commissioning & Maintenance – These are pivotal for any successful system.
The benefits include
- Reducing your carbon foot print & impact on the environment.
- Increased energy efficiency maximizing the energy used & generated.
- Environmentally friendly.
- Prolonged life expectancy of expensive water side components.
- Reduced calls outs as a result of incorrect system water.
- Easy to understand without the need of vast chemical knowledge.
- Constant protection which cannot be diluted.
- Multiple system components in the form of one elector reaction tank (reduction in costs).
- No handling or storage of chemicals.
- No disposal of chemicals.
- No COSHH reports required/ less health & safety.
- No chemicals going through our drainage systems.
- No wastewater license required when working on the system.
- No COSHH reports required.
- Removal of bacteria from systems.
- Being able to assess onsite without the need for lab testing.
- Visual monitoring via product displays or remote monitoring.
- Simple monitoring without the need for chemical contractors.
- Time saving techniques.
- Easy to service (apprentice level!)
- Being able to add a water treatment regime to current PPM contracts improving your offer/system care package for you clients
- The water makes up the largest component of any heating/cooling system but is often the most overlooked element.
Water treatment overlook
- The water is the vital element which transfers heat/cool water generated via the appliance.
- Much like the blood in the body the system water is pumped around systems where the energy from the water is used to heat/cool a room or generate DHW.
- Thousands of pounds are spent in manufacturing equipment, designing, installing & maintaining heating/cooling systems BUT without correct water treatment these key elements go to waste with costly repairs to rectify which can spiral out of control.
- Due to the requirement for increased energy efficiency standards set via the government to tackle global warming this has an impact on the appliances & system components which are now fitted. To increase efficiency more energy needs to be harvested which often requires components to become smaller to increase heat transfer & also use the energy it requires to operate more efficiently. Gone are the days of large water ways and oversized equipment and with this the margin for error has been greatly reduced.
Current options available
- The UK market has often looked to the chemical sector for protection against corrosion.
- UK guidance has been heavily influenced via chemical companies who have essentially funded the guidelines we work too in the UK.
- The vast majority of European countries don’t follow the same principles that are ingrained on the UK industry & look to alternative methods for corrosion protection.
- Many of the world leading manufactures come from outside of the UK and these brands do not indorse the use of chemicals in their systems for corrosion protection.
Industry recognised guidelines which follow chemical free corrosion protection are German guideline VDI 2035, Swiss guideline SWKI BT 102-01 & Austrian guideline ÖNORM H5195-1.
- Elexion water treatment were invited to contribute to the latest BSRIA BG50 guidelines for closed loop water treatment. As leading experts in the “chemical free method” we was asked to contribute on a technical bases & with our help the latest BSRIA BG50 now includes the use of electrochemistry & the use of demineralised water.
Thoroughflush Ltd can help you with products to adhere to VDI2035. Check out https://www.thoroughflush.co.uk/product-category/water-treatment/